Monday, September 30, 2013

September Poetry

I am a Cow: By Harry R. Mathias

As a child, I was taught
all people have inalienable rights.
People can speak freely,
without being silenced.
People can defend themselves,
because they are capable.
People can give love,
without others stopping them.
People can work hard,
to enjoy the fruits of their labors.
Then as I grew older,
I saw this was a dirty image,
a dream of distant time,
or fantasy.
Now people fear their own thoughts,
because they don't know what to say.
People can't defend themselves,
because they can't be trusted to.
People can't give give their love,
because may find it wrong.
People can't eat their fruit,
because others don't think they should have them.
I now know I am a cow.
Like a cow, I cannot speak,
because I am not smart enough.
Like a cow, I must have shepard to defend me,
because I am incapable of defending myself.
I cannot give love, as a cow,
because I don't know what proper love is.
My fruit is taken from me,
because a cow only gets what it needs.
I was lied to.
I am not a person.
I am a cow.

***

Titans: By Harry R. Mathias

When we were born,
we had titans,
Our titan was the best,
It would pretend to feed us,
pretend to clothe us,
pretend to protect us.
Our titan told stories
about the other titans.
How other titans robbed
and other titans killed.
How some titans grew,
while other titans fell.
But he told us not to worry,
for our titan wouldn't ever fall.
Our titan was exceptional.
Our titan beat the king titan,
and then beat the red titan.
Our titan did no wrong.
Then one day we saw our titan,
he beat the children of another titan.
Some of us spoke up,
and others stayed quiet,
while others didn't care.
Our titan told us not to worry, for
they were the children of a bad titan.
He did the same to all evil titans.
But when some of us protested,
our titan threatened us.
He said he would punish us,
and we needed to be good.
I now know we can't stop loving our titan,
for he'll hurt us if we stop.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment